Sunday, November 22, 2009

November North Carolina Trip Summary

I apologize for the lack of an update, but it's been an extremely busy week since I got back from my mini-vacation to North Carolina.

It was an excellent trip, even though there wasn't much going on at most of the dozen or so race shops the Friday I visited them. Most if not all of the teams were in Phoenix already. I thought it was amazing that these race shops look like usual corporate offices, but then you can look in the wide windows in many of them and check out the race shops. I stayed local to the hotel I was at, which was in a business park with several race shops. Next time I plan to go a little off the beaten path and visit Penske, JR Motorsports, and maybe even over to Charlotte to check out Hendrick Motorsports and some other teams.

One of my personal favorites during the weekend was my visit to the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame. If you haven't been there, I would recommend checking it out if you get a chance. What an excellent museum with tons of motorsports history that is very informative and interesting! I even purchased an old school Jeff Gordon Baby Ruth early 1990's T-shirt from the gift shop! In addition, I made touristy stops at Lake Norman and downtown Mooresville.

Then Saturday was race day! The ISCARS Dash Touring Series sanctioned by ASA was at Hickory Motor Speedway for their championship event. Three drivers were separated by eight points coming into the event. Danny Bagwell, who was the two-time defending champion, won both 75 lap races. Bagwell was not eligible for the championship since he missed a couple races earlier in the season. The championship battle came down to the wire. After race #1, Randy Humphrey finished 2nd and Jason Shultz 3rd. However, Shultz led laps so Humphrey's point lead was still slim. In race #2 Shultz jumped out to an early lead, while Humphrey marched through the field. Humphrey would spin going for second place and rebounded for a third place finish, but it wouldn't be enough. With his second place finish, rookie Jason Shultz won the championship! The full article can be found at: http://iscarsonline.com/viewnews.asp?News_ID=8462.

Along with the ISCARS were the East Coast Flathead Fords. It was my first time seeing this series, and was cool to see some of the vintage vehicles racing around the historic track. Stuntman James Smith was on hand as well doing some neat stunts.

Photos from the race can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajcrdstr2009/sets/.

Photos from the entire trip can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2046856&id=37801386&l=185bb0e747.

Videos from the race can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/ajcrdstr24

Next week probably following the Thanksgiving holiday and after I collect my thoughts, I will post/rant a post-NASCAR season summary.

No comments:

Post a Comment